Thursday, September 15, 2011
Day 9 Challenge: Drawstring Hat
When I studied abroad in Florence, Italy I took a soft sculpture class and the work I came up with proved that I COULD sew if I put my mind to it. There's just something about sewing that makes me super anxious.
For this project, though, I figured the pattern was simple enough that I couldn't eff up too badly.
I decided to use the scrap fabric I kept from my screenprinting practice runs in Florence. It seemed appropriate to bring Italy into this project since it was the last time I seriously sewed anything. Plus, the constant reminder that I can do this because I have done it was a nice little motivator to get the project done.
I followed the pattern pretty accurately, only making a few changes to the height of the body of the hat so I wouldn't have to chop up my phoenix (that way if I ended up hating the hat I could take it apart and not lose my artwork).
I still think the fabric may not have been the right choice. Even though it was lightweight, it didn't quite fall right when I was done. On top of that I couldn't find any stores nearby that sold ribbons so the hat is temporarily held together with shoelaces--which would be pretty cool if the design was more edgy and urban...but it doesn't go very well with the phoenix design. It'll have to be replaced once I get the proper materials.
Maybe as my hair grows my like for the hat will grow too :)